Sunday, May 30, 2010

Road Trip!

My journey began as I picked up my mom at the airport on Friday morning.  We had lunch and went shopping for some business casual clothes as I have never really had a "real" job and my life as a student doesn't really require any sort of dress code.  We found some great deals at the Tanger Outlets in Park City (Go there if you need really great deals, the Memorial Day Sales are pretty epic).  After a successful outing, we drove back down to my apartment and pre-packed the car so that we could get an early start on Saturday.  I had a hard time sleeping Friday night, I can't tell if it was anticipation, nerves or excitement, but it was definitely not restful.

Saturday morning started early as I haven't been able to sleep past 6:30am in weeks.  We finished packing up the car and my mom made fun of me a few times about the amount of stuff I brought to Colorado Springs, then we were off.  Our first pit stop was in Park City (we made it really far) for some breakfast from Whole Foods and a deposit to my bank account before we left the area where Zions Banks can be found.  Finally, we were actually on the road around 11, so much for that early start!  As we made our way through Wyoming which seems like it will never end, I remembered stories from my skating days.  The exhibition we did in Rock Springs where Danielle gave herself a concussion on a hotel railing...  The LONG ride back from Sectionals in Westminster, CO when the bus heat stopped working...  These stories made me a little nostalgic for the times when the hardest decision we had to make was what kind of glitter we were going to wear for the competition and how hard we were going to protest the glue being applied to our hair.  At the same time it made me so excited and proud of how far we have all come since that day.  I had a little bit of a "this is your life" montage, from the girls on the bus to the girls having dinner at Worlds, talking about job issues, families, and relationships, we've come so far!  I am very happy to have all of these women still in my life to support me and I am proud to support them as well.  Anyway, that was my Wyoming experience :)

As we approached Colorado Springs I got really excited and nervous, which if you were in the car you could tell by the speed and duration of my one-sided conversations.  We made it to our hotel around 6:30 (pretty good time), had some dinner and watched a movie.  My mom drugged me with NyQuil so that I would sleep past 6:30 and it worked!  I slept til 7:45.   Now we are just getting ready to move my stuff into the Olympic Training Center.  I am really excited to get started, only 2 days left!

2 comments:

  1. wow so exciting! you really have come a long way baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were fun times, and sometimes when the going gets tough I long back for the "omg, what glitter should we use!" days because adult problems much bigger. But other days I really am so proud of us for where we've come and so happy that we are all still such good friends. So happy to have friends that knew me when I was awkward and love me despite it. I will miss you while you're in Colorado, but 1)I know you will come back to visit, 2) being connected to you through Facebook, Twitter, AND blogging, I doubt either one of us will miss a beat, and 3) I am so happy for you to have earned such a great opportunity. You rock it baby! xo

    Ang

    ReplyDelete